CompTIA has created a good market place by providing one of the most sought-out certification exams validating the baseline skills of the professionals. With this, they came up with various versions out of which Security+ certifications have their own trending market place. CompTIA Security+ follows ISO 17024 standards and is approved by the US DoD to meet directive 8140/8570.01-M requirements. Where, over 2.3 million CompTIA ISO/ANSI-accredited exams have been delivered since January 1, 2011.
Talking about the certification, CompTIA has the policy to update the exam version after every three years. Likewise, they have modifications for Security+ certification that is the SY0-601 exam launched onNovember 12, 2020. The previous exam, that is SY0-501 exam will expire on July 31, 2021, which will be replaced by the new CompTIA Security+ (SY0-601) Exam. But, one thing that strikes our mind is what will be the changes or modifications in this new upgrade. So, let’s get clear with these doubts.
What’s in this new version: CompTIA Security+ SY0-601
We all know that Cybersecurity attacks continue to grow. As a result, more job roles are tasked with baseline security readiness and response to address today’s threats. Getting updates to Security+ will reflect skills relevant to these job roles. Thus, preparing candidates to be more proactive in preventing the next attack. In this new update of the Security+ exam, IT Pros must be able to:
- Firstly, help identify attacks and vulnerabilities to mitigate them before they infiltrate IS.
- Secondly, understand secure virtualization, secure application deployment, and automation concepts
- Thirdly, identify and implement the best protocols and encryption
- Lastly, understand the importance of compliance
However, in this article, there is much more to know and to understand about the Security+ (SY0-601) exam. So, let’s begin with the exam overview.
CompTIA Security+ SY0-601: Overview
CompTIA Security+ refers to a global certification that validates the baseline skills for performing core security functions as well as pursuing an IT security career. Talking about the CompTIA Security+, it is the first security certification a candidate should earn. That is to say, it will establish the core knowledge necessary for any cybersecurity role and provides a springboard to intermediate-level cybersecurity jobs. Further, it provides candidates practical security problem-solving skills required to:
- Firstly, assess the security posture of an enterprise environment and implement appropriate security solutions.
- Secondly, monitor and secure hybrid environments, including cloud, mobile, and IoT.
- Thirdly, operate with an awareness of applicable laws and policies. This also includes principles of governance, risk, and compliance.
- Lastly, identify, analyze, and respond to security events and incidents.
Now, coming onto the exam to CompTIA Security+ certification exam. The new CompTIA Security+ SY0-601 exam verifies candidate knowledge and skills required to assess the security posture of an enterprise environment as well as in implementing appropriate security solutions. This exam monitors and secures hybrid environments, including operating with an awareness of applicable laws and policies.
But, the question that arises here is what makes CompTIA Security+ different? Let’s check this!
- Firstly, Security+ is chosen by more corporations and defense organizations than any other certification on the market.
- Secondly, Security+ proves hands-on skills with ensuring security professionals solve problems in a wider variety as per today’s complex issues.
- Thirdly, it helps in gaining skills applicable across more of today’s job roles to secure systems, software, and hardware.
- Lastly, Security+ is aligned to the latest trends and techniques that cover most of the core technical skills in risk assessment and management, incident response, forensics, enterprise networks, and more.
CompTIA Security+ SY0-601: Exam details
CompTIA Security+ (SY0-601) certification exam is the new exam update for the SY0-501 exam. In this exam, there will total of 90 questions that will be of type multiple choice and performance-based. To complete the exam, you will be given 90 minutes. Further, to pass the exam, it is necessary to score 750 (on a scale of 100-900). CompTIA Security+ (SY0-601) exam cost is $370 USD and is available in English and Japanese language.
SY0-601 Exam: Recommended Experience
- For this exam firstly, you must hold CompTIA Network+ with having two years of experience in IT administration with a security focus.
- Secondly, you must have hands-on technical information security experience.
- Lastly, you should have a broad knowledge of security concepts.
You must know that for the CompTIA Security+ (SY0-601) exam, the testing provider is Pearson VUE that provides exams at testing centers or online testing.
Moving on, in the CompTIA Security+ (SY0-601) certification exam, you will be able to explore various security areas that will help you in advancing your skills. So, let’s take a look at those areas.
Security+: Skills enhancement
- Firstly, Attacks, Threats, and Vulnerabilities. This covers, focusing on more threats, attacks, and vulnerabilities on the Internet from newer custom devices that must be mitigated.
- Secondly, Architecture and Design. This includes coverage of enterprise environments and reliance on the cloud.
- Next, Implementation. This expands to focus on administering identity, access management, PKI, basic cryptography, wireless, and end-to-end security.
- Lastly, Governance, Risk, and Compliance. This expands to support organizational risk management and compliance with regulations.
However, to get a better understanding about these skills gaining areas check the course outline below.
CompTIA SY0-601 Exam: Course Outline
Exploring the course objectives for the CompTIA Security+ (SY0-601) exam will help you understand the difference between the exam versions. However, the CompTIA Security+ (SY0-601) exam objectives covers the following topics:
1. Threats, Attacks, and Vulnerabilities
1.1 Compare and contrast different types of social engineering techniques.
- Firstly, Phishing
- Thirdly, Vishing
- Spam over instant messaging (SPIM)
- Then, Spear phishing
- Dumpster diving
- Shoulder surfing
- After that, Pharming
- Eliciting information
1.2 Given a scenario, analyze potential indicators to determine the type of attack.
- Firstly, Malware
- Password Attacks
- Physical Attacks
- Then, Adversarial artificial intelligence (AI)
- Supply-chain attacks
- Cloud-based vs. on-premises attacks
- Lastly, Cryptographic attacks
1.3 Given a scenario, analyze potential indicators associated with application attacks.
- Firstly, Privilege escalation
- Cross-site scripting
- Thirdly, Injections
- Race conditions
- After that, error handling
- Improper input handling
- Lastly, a replay attack
1.4 Given a scenario, analyze potential indicators associated with network attacks.
- Firstly, wireless
- On-path attack (previously known as man-in-the-middle attack/ man-in-the-browser attack)
- Thirdly, layer 2 attacks
- Domain name system (DNS)
- Distributed denial-of-service (DDoS)
- Lastly, malicious code or script execution
- 5 Explain different threat actors, vectors, and intelligence sources.
- Actors and threats
- Attributes of actors
- After that, Threat intelligence sources
- Research sources
- 6 Explain the security concerns associated with various types of vulnerabilities.
- Cloud-based vs. on-premises vulnerabilities
- Then, weak configurations
- Third-party risks
- 7 Summarize the techniques used in security assessments.
- Firstly,Threat hunting
- Vulnerability scans
- Syslog/Security information andevent management (SIEM)
- Lastly, Security orchestration,automation, and response (SOAR)
1.8 Explain the techniques used in penetration testing.
- Penetration testing
- Passive and active reconnaissance
- Exercise types
2. Architecture and Design
2.1 Explain the importance of security concepts in an enterprise environment.
- Firstly, configuration management
- Data sovereignty
- Thirdly, data protection
- Geographical considerations
- After that, response and recovery controls
- Secure Sockets Layer (SSL)/Transport Layer Security (TLS) inspection
- API considerations
- Site resiliency
- Lastly, deception and disruption
2.2 Summarize virtualization and cloud computing concepts.
- Firstly, cloud models
- Cloud service providers
- Thirdly, the Managed service provider (MSP)/ managed security serviceprovider (MSSP)
- On-premises vs. off-premises
- Fog computing
- Edge computing
- Lastly, Thin client
2.3 Summarize secure application development, deployment, and automation concepts.
- Firstly, Environment
- Provisioning and de-provisioning
- Thirdly, Integrity measurement
- Secure coding techniques
- Open Web ApplicationSecurity Project (OWASP)
- After that, software diversity
- Lastly, Version control
2.4 Summarize authentication and authorization design concepts.
- Authentication methods
2.5 Given a scenario, implement cybersecurity resilience.
- Backup types
- High availability
2.6 Explain the security implications of embedded and specialized systems.
- Embedded systems
- Supervisory control and data acquisition (SCADA)/industrial control system (ICS)
- Internet of Things (IoT)
- Voice over IP (VoIP)
- Multifunction printer (MFP)
- Real-time operating system (RTOS)
2.7 Explain the importance of physical security controls.
- Access control vestibules
- Industrial camouflage
- Visitor logs
- Faraday cages
- Air gap
- Secure data destruction
2.8 Summarize the basics of cryptographic concepts.
- Digital signatures
- Key length
- Key stretching
3.1 Given a scenario, implement secure protocols.
- Use cases
3.2 Given a scenario, implement host or application security solutions.
- Endpoint protection
- Boot integrity
- Trusted Platform Module (TPM)
3.3 Given a scenario, implement secure network designs.
- Load balancing
- Network segmentation
- Network access control (NAC)
- Access control list (ACL)
- Route security
- Port spanning/port mirroring
3.4 Given a scenario, install and configure wireless security settings.
- Cryptographic protocols
- Authentication protocols
- Installation considerations
3.5 Given a scenario, implement secure mobile solutions.
- Connection methods and receivers
- Mobile device management (MDM)
- Mobile devices
- Enforcement and monitoring of:
- Deployment models
3.6 Given a scenario, apply cybersecurity solutions to the cloud.
- Cloud security controls
- Cloud native controls vs.third-party solutions
3.7 Given a scenario, implement identity and account management controls.
- Account types
- Authentication management
- Access control schemes
3.8 Given a scenario, implement public key infrastructure.
- Public key infrastructure (PKI)
- Types of certificates
- Certificate formats
4. Operations and Incident Response
4.1 Given a scenario, use the appropriate tool to assess organizational security.
- Network reconnaissance and discovery
- File manipulation
- Packet capture and replay
- Exploitation frameworks
4.2 Summarize the importance of policies, processes, and procedures for incident response.
- Incident response plans
- Incident response process
- Communication plan
- Disaster recovery plan
- Business continuity plan
4.3 Given an incident, utilize appropriate data sources to support an investigation.
- Vulnerability scan output
- SIEM dashboards
- Log files
4.4 Given an incident, apply mitigation techniques or controls to secure an environment.
- Firstly, reconfigure endpoint security solutions
- Configuration changes
- Thirdly, isolation
- Lastly, SOAR
4.5 Explain the key aspects of digital forensics.
- Firstly, documentation/evidence
- After that, on-premises vs. cloud
- Then, data recovery
5.Governance, Risk, and Compliance
5.1 Compare and contrast various types of controls.
- Control type
5.2 Explain the importance of applicable regulations, standards, or frameworks that impact organizational security posture.
- Regulations, standards, and legislation
- Secondly, key frameworks
- Benchmarks /secureconfiguration guides
5.3 Explain the importance of policies to organizational security.
- Diversity of training techniques
- Third-party risk management
5.4 Summarize risk management processes and concepts.
- Risk types
- Secondly, Risk management strategies
- After that, Risk analysis
- Business impact analysis
5.5 Explain privacy and sensitive data concepts in relation to security.
- Firstly, organizational consequences of privacy and data breaches
- Notifications of breaches
- Thirdly, data types
- Privacy-enhancing technologies
- Then, roles and responsibilities
- Information life cycle
According to Accenture, 68% of business leaders feel their cybersecurity risks are increasing. As a result, the demand for IT pros has increased to identify cyberattacks and vulnerabilities.
Things you must know about CompTIA Security+
Jobs that use CompTIA Security+. There are various job roles that you can apply for after earning the Security+ certification. This include:
- Firstly, Security Administrator
- Secondly, Systems Administrator
- Next, Helpdesk Manager / Analyst
- Fourthly, Network / Cloud Engineer
- Security Engineer / Analyst
- DevOps / Software Developer
- Lastly, IT Auditors and IT Project Manager
Top Organizations that have contributed to the development of Security+
- Firstly, Netflix
- Secondly, Splunk>
- Thirdly, Target
- Lastly, Johns Hopkins University
Now, we have almost covered the major information part for the CompTIA Security+ (SY0-601) exam. It’s time to move onto the learning part. Below, we will talk about the important resources that will help in your journey to earn Security+ certification.
CompTIA Learning Resources
For better preparation of the exam CompTIA helps by providing various learning methods. These will help in covering the concepts for the Security+ exam. Let’s have a look at them.
- Firstly, eLearning with CertMaster for Security+. CompTIA gives candidates access to the CertMaster eLearning solution. Where CertMaster Learn is interactive and self-paced that includes a customizable learning plan and performance-based questions for Security+.
- Secondly, CompTIA Labs for Security+. These labs help the candidate to acquire the necessary hands-on skills for Security+ certification. Moreover, they will develop a deeper understanding of the subject matter and the practical aspects of the Security certification exam objectives.
- Thirdly, CertMaster Practice: Security+. Here, CertMaster Practice refers to a tool that assesses your knowledge and exam readiness. This provides question-first design, real-time learning analytics, and content refreshers. Moreover, it helps candidates to prepare well by confirming strong areas and improving weak areas during studying.
- Lastly, Instructor-Led Training. CompTIA provides best-in-class instructor-led training for both individuals and teams. These CompTIA Security+ (SY0-601) training sessions will help the candidates to understand the concepts more accurately in a short duration.
Coming on the important part that helps in getting perfection in your preparation, Practice Tests. Why is it so? Let’s find out.
CompTIA Security+ (SY0-601) Exam: Practice Tests
Practice tests play a vital role while preparing for the exam. This is because assessing yourself after completion of a section or topic will help you know about your strength and weakness. Moreover, this will also improve your answering skills. But, what’s important here is to get the best available CompTIA Security+ (SY0-601) practice tests. There are many sources out there where you can get the tests related to the CompTIA Security+ (SY0-601) exam. In order to get the best outcome, you have to do some research work to get best practice tests. Related to this, practice tests provided by Testprep Training provide a detailed review of your performance, especially your strengths and your weak areas. Further, for CompTIA Security+ (SY0-601) exam, Testprep Training also provides you with:
- Firstly, full-length mock exams with 150 unique questions.
- Secondly, objective-based questions based on the exam course outline.
- Thirdly, a detailed explanation for every question.
- Lastly, lifetime access to the practice tests.
CompTIA certifications holding a good place in the market sector have increased the demand for jobs. That is to say, passing CompTIA Security+ (SY0-601) exam will help you get certified but provide you with many high-level opportunities. In order to pass, there are various training solutions that provide CompTIA Security+ (SY0-601) syllabus, study guides, online self-study tools, and courses to cover everything for the CompTIA exam. So, get some hands-on knowledge and start preparing for the CompTIA Security+ (SY0-601) exam.